Tuesday 2 March 2010

The Coronation of S. Joseph


Something for the second day of this month of S. Joseph. Images of the coronation of S. Joseph are a fairly late introduction to the devotional repertoire, and most were created in Spain, where devotion to San Jose developed rapidly in the period after the Council of Trent. This is Zurbaran's depiction, which reflects some images from the Proto-evangelion, such as the flowering staff, and the elderly S. Joseph. An excellent history of devotion to S. Joseph can be found here. Here's also one of the most beloved prayers to S. Joseph. Please pray it generously for me, while I suffer from an ugly rash brought on by antibiotics!!!


Memorare To Saint Joseph


Remember, O most pure spouse of Mary, and my dearly beloved guardian, St. Joseph, that never was it known that anyone who invoked your care and requested your help was left without consolation.
Inspired with this confidence, I come to you, and with all the ardor of my spirit I commend myself to you. Do not reject my prayer, O Foster Father of the Savior, but graciously receive and answer it. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment